Sunday, August 24, 2008

5 Questions for Mom

For my opening effort in the "5 Questions" feature of the blog, I thought I'd have good old Mom be my first subject. As you will see below, she did not disappoint.

Question 1
DC:
OK, let's just end the speculation right at the start: Who is your favorite, me or my stupid smelly sister?

Mom: You are my favorite, of course. I always knew my favorite child would be the one who:
(1) loves me
(2) makes me proud
(3) talks to me
(4) wants to be at family gatherings
(5) gives me a granddaughter

(DC: That was totally cheating.)

Question 2
DC:
What is your favorite memory from childhood?

Mom: The highlight of our childhood was our trip from Columbia, TN, to California for 25 days when I was 13. We camped in a 9x11 umbrella tent all but 6 nights (2 in LA, 2 in San Fran, 1 in KS, 1 rainy night in MO). We three kids saved $100 each to take the trip ($625 total costs). And, we each had a job to do every night (I pumped mattresses). Great memories and beautiful, memorable sights. (Tahoe was one of them.) Never mind about our fusses as to who got the window seats, but we also sang a lot in the car to make up for the fussing.

Question 3
DC:
What was the happiest day of your life and the saddest day of your life?

Mom: The were two of each--
Happiest:
(1) May 22, 1968, when you were born. Both of us prayed for a healthy baby, preferably a boy.
(2) April 16, 1971, when Lauren was born. Both of us prayed for a healthy baby, preferably a girl.

(DC: Notice how *I* was listed first - I'm sure in order of degree of happiness.)

Saddest:
(1) The time in 1995, I think, I had to drive back from Knoxville to Lafayette alone after spending a week with mother in the hospital after her stroke. She was never going to be the same mother I had always known. I was grieving, crying all the way. At times I would have to stop because I was so overcome with tears of sadness. It didn't help that I was physically exhausted from not having slept because I stayed with her at nights so Dad could go home. The tears are flowing now, just remembering that tremendous feeling of loss.

(2) December 18, 2007, hearing that Joe, my brother, had died unexpectedly in Mexico. The sense of unbelief! The feeling he was too young for that to happen! The void! All of us depended on him to stay close to Dad and to bring the family together. He was so influential for all of us. What an emptiness there is always going to be without him. The grief is deep and difficult.

Question 4
DC:
Other than Jesus and all those other biblical guys & gals, which 2 or 3 famous people (living or dead) would you like to have dinner with and why?

Mom: Max Lucado. His writings are like conversations. His faith is practical, genuine, humble, and full of grace. He lifts me up. He reminds me that God's love is there for me, no matter what.

Do they have to be famous? I would still love to have dinner with Mother and Susie (her mother). They were always practical, wise, genuine, humble, and full of grace. They would lift me up and remind me that God loves me, no matter what. Besides, relationships are what are really important, and a relationship with these two important women in my life would be a priority for me if I could have that opportunity again.

Question 5
DC:
What is the most interesting thing you can tell me about yourself that I don't know about you?

Mom: If I had not met your dad and had finished college in need of a job, I had planned to apply for a job as what then was called a National Park Ranger. I had never been in a National Park where there was a woman ranger. (Now I think they are called Interpreters.) With all of our camping experiences, that seemed like the best fit for me, the most interesting, and the most fun. I had a degree in history, thought it would be valuable for those information sessions that rangers present to campers, and loved camping and the experiences in state and national parks.

God knew what was better for me. Now I get very frustrated being out with the mosquitos. But, fortunately, Gayle came into my life to take me away from bugs. Unfortunately for Gayle, I am the one who bugs him.

Thanks for sharing, Ma - nice job. Glad you never had to wear one of those silly Ranger hats.

3 comments:

Edette said...

Thanks I am so stealing some of these questions for my road trip!

MLW said...

Nicely done. Thanks for sharing.

laurenc said...

Yeah, well... you're stupider and smellier. So there.