I spent some time updating my Facebook page recently, and one of the categories you can post about yourself is "Religious Views." Generally people simply state "Jewish" or "Christian" or whatever church denomination with which they are affiliated. But when I arrived at this field, I was stumped. Genuinely stumped.
Most of my readers know that my faith "heritage" has been in the Church of Christ, a (mostly) non-denominational Christian church that evolved from the American Restoration Movement about 200 years ago. I'm far from a religious historian, but one of the cool things about the Church of Christ is that its roots are from all directions: Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian and I think even Episcopalian somehow if I recall correctly. So, basically, this movement came about due to a sincere effort of a large number of people who were really searching for spiritual truths without the yokes of organized religions and their traditions. Sounds good to me.
My whole life I've always (at minimum) had my foot in the door of the CofC, if for no other reason because much of my extended family remains a part of that church family. But for the last 10 years the vast majority of my church-going has been to other churches: Bible churches, Presbyterian churches, community churches and Episcopal churches mostly. The last couple of years in Maryland we went to the Episcopal church nearby. They were a warm group, but we never got involved at all and only attended 1-2 times a month. Since our arrival in CA almost a year ago, we kinda went back to our roots and attended the church that Elisa grew up in - the University Church of Christ that meets on the Pepperdine campus. It's very comfortable and easy to do that; it's familiar and we know a bunch of people there, not the least of which are Elisa's parents. And we often enjoy Ken Durham's preaching, as well. But the reality is that neither of us are really into the Church of Christ tradition still. I certainly do respect it, however - there is a lot to like about it, including the reliance solely on scripture (and not on formal traditions or creeds) as well as the autonomous nature of each congregation (at least in theory). And the old-time hymns sung a cappella in four part harmony is like a warm blanket for both of us. Lately, though, we have attended an Episcopal church in Beverly Hills which we are enjoying. It also has a terrific kids program. We'll see how things progress.
Anyway, so there I was: What do I enter for "Religious Views?" I still consider myself a Christian in a very generic sense, so I could have typed that in, but I felt that would be kinda boring. I certainly didn't want to type in a specific denomination - that's WAAAY too limiting for me.
So I thought: What exactly ARE my religious views, anyway? (For the sake of this discussion, let's change "religious" to "spiritual" - that's a much more meaningful term to me.) Certainly my spirituality and beliefs have evolved a great deal over the years, and especially my adult years. But honestly it has been years since I have actually paused to really consider this question seriously and thoughtfully. When certain specific issues come up in conversation, I can fairly readily tell you what I think and believe about them, but it's a daunting task for me to explain my overall spiritual viewpoints.
If you know me well, you know I've got a pretty good head on my shoulders, yet I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. I recognized this fact early in life, and made adjustments along the way so I can get by effectively. One way I have done this is to break down the "tough stuff" in life (spirituality, relationships, academics, career, politics) into the most basic parts, and then attempt to excel in understanding and applying them. In school I would learn the overall outline of the topic at hand, and then (if I actually felt like doing any studying) fill in the details as I could. I have tried to be a keen observer of people and that has helped me in relationships. And after many years of going to church and holding my faith as my ultimate priority, I found it could get overwhelming to try to learn and apply the countless biblical teachings, and I would encounter frustration in feeling good about my faith. So once again, over the years I have tried to boil my spiritual beliefs down to the basics, so here it goes:
> God created the heavens and the Earth.
> Emulating Jesus, particularly his loving and compassionate side, is the best model I know.
> No one is perfect, so it is wonderful to know about God's amazing grace.
I think that's it. The other stuff is either just too big for my brain (the existence of heaven and/or hell, the meaning of the cross, the consequences of sin) or too insignificant to worry about (instruments, women's roles, choice of church to attend, etc).
I'm guessing that some of my readers will be somewhat alarmed by this entry, and that's OK. I'm happy to reveal some intimate glimpses of me from time to time. In the end I trust that God knows my heart, and I think (hope!) He's pleased with me more often than He's disappointed.
So, in the category of "Religious Views" on my Facebook profile, I typed in a simple, "God is good." That pretty much sums it up for me, and it's wonderful to have that peace.
3 comments:
Darren, Great posting.
First of all, welcome to All Saints. It makes my heart glad :) We do have to get you to the correct service because God and the better choir does not show up until 11:15 am, and the better brunch follows that service too :) I'm so delighted that you guys are attending. I have found it to be a church home where the best aspects of Christian thought, worship and life are represented --it also is not without its faults, but overall I have found it to be the best spiritual experience of my life and an amazing commmunity of friends.
I encourage you to attend Alpha, Beta and Covenant class. That's how I got to know people, and the Covenant class helped me to appreciate the Episcopal tradition better. Once I learned its story and theology, I felt like I had just discovered a tradition that already had been teaching and living what I always had thought but didn't know a church tradition also believed it too.
The things I love best is the comfortability with tension and paradox (word and table, cognitive and emotive, catholic and protestant, tradition and progress), the open welcome to all people regardless of their life situation, and their comfortability with announcing convicted words about Jesus while allowing people to have freedom to "lean into" that teaching as they are ready. And of course ... the music is always rich and beautiful.
As for Facebook ... I like your choice. I too struggled with mine. THe Church of Christ always will be my spiritual family -- and I hope they will feel that way with me. It's where I "grew up" and still feel a certain ease and comfort. But it's not the story I choose to believe or the one I want to perpetuate for the next half of my life. So I couldn't choose "Church of Christ".
I also did not want to choose "Angelican" or "Episcopalian". Even though I am now confirmed, I have yet to claim that tradition as much as I have claimed this particular church.
But something really fundamental took place for me when I was trying to choose. I realized that I despise religion in general, and that what I believe is my core religion is not a tradition but a Person.
So I just chose to say that my religion is "Jesus". God is love ... those are the same for me. And I think the last couple of years at All Saints, as well as my own growth, took me there. I am not sure how you improve on it :)
Thanks for sharing courageously and personally.
You know I noticed your "God is Good" and thought well that is an interesting way to answer that question! I must agree it is a bit daunting. I automatically put in the Christian and selected Episcopal as the subheading - I love that I did that, with out thinking, just did it, because it is who I am now, and each time I see it on my own facebook page I think wow that is weird, when did I become that?
Anyway, great posting, really insightful. And I still have one question - I ask this of anyone that uses the word 'spiritual', especially when they do so in lieu of words like faith and religion etc.
So what exactly do you mean by spiritual?
Well said, buddy.
Post a Comment