Thursday, July 24, 2008

Growing Up

Our kid is getting big. There have been a few pieces of evidence just this week to prove it:

1. She has gone five consecutive nights without a diaper and not wetting the bed. (Sorry if this is TMI for anyone out there.) Granted, I do gently wake her up right before I go to bed so that she can tinkle to give her a better shot at making it through an entire dry night, but it has worked like a charm so far this week.

2. Instead of the usual statement, "I want some milk!" I heard these words escape her lips in a fit of eloquence and politeness: "Mom, can I have some milk please?" It's hard to explain how wonderful that was to hear. (Although I suppose if she were truly elegant she would have said "may I" instead of "can I," but we'll get to that later.)

3. On Monday night I went to see the state championship Pinto League baseball game (8-year-olds) in which the son of my boss was playing. When I got home, out of the blue she asked, "How was the baseball game?" I was taken aback; she had never before proactively inquired about any aspect of my life. It was a simple question, but so sweet to hear.

Sometimes I just want to yell, "SLOW DOWN!! STOP GETTING SO BIG SO FAST!!" However, at the same time, it is an absolute joy to watch.

No comments: