Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Uno, Dos, Tres, Cuarenta

After some busy weekends, we were finally able to have my BIG FOUR OH birthday party on Sunday afternoon/evening. It was excellent. Elisa grilled some pork, chicken & onions, and made some homemade salsa, ceviche and watermelon juice. Oh - and the very yummy birthday cake you see here. Julie made some sweet potato salad, and Goose made some guacamole. My contribution (which I insisted on) was my homemade margaritas. It was great to have so many friends and Elisa's family there. My thanks to those who attended: Stan & Ann; Tom, Goose & Lucy; Mike, Michelle, Madison & Marcus; Jules, Jennifer, John & Dustin; Edette; Richard & Steph; Kim; and Diane, Eric, Kyle, Sam & Ryan. Thanks to Sara Sue, we had a pinata, too, and the kids helped me blow out my candles. I just had a great time.

Since my actual birthday was about 2-1/2 weeks ago, and since my parents' dozen or so birthday cards started arriving at least a week before my birthday, it's been like I've been celebrating for about a month. And I just realized today that Father's Day is just around the corner, and I fall into that category, too. Then it will be 4th of July, although I guess I have to share that celebration with every other American, but that's OK.

To this point I have had no grand reflection about this milestone birthday. No desire to develop a "bucket list" or float down the Amazon or anything crazy like that. Maybe it's true that 50 is the new 40. Or maybe I've just been in such a celebratory mode lately that I haven't had a chance to think about it. Or maybe I'm just plain old in denial. But whatever - life is good and is too short to brood. Just looking forward to lots more candles and cakes in the future, and the family and friends to enjoy it with me.

No comments: