Wednesday, September 10, 2008

5 Questions for Melissa

The Bonifays have been like a second family to me for pretty much my whole life. They're the kind of people with whom you've had such a tight relationship that even though you don't regularly keep in touch, after five minutes in the same room or on the phone with them, you're transported back in time and things are pretty much as they always were.

The Bonifay girls mean the world to me. Amy is one of the most precious souls on the planet (hopefully we'll do a 5 Questions with her one of these days), and Melissa very naturally slid into the role of the big sister I never had. We had so much fun especially back in my junior high days when she was in high school, and I remember being very sad seeing her go off to college. And although I'm sure neither of us was conscious of it at the time, she taught me about life in many ways.

Melissa & I reconnected recently, and it was so great to hear how happy she is in her life, especially because her laugh and smile (even over the phone) is infectious. I was pleased she agreed to contribute to "5 Questions."

Question 1
DC:
What is your fondest memory of growing up in New Jersey?

Melissa: My sister will tell you I have no memory. I do appreciate that being so close to NYC we went on REALLY cool field trips to places like MOMA and Lincoln Center. I also remember the thrill of my parents taking me to see Gilda Live for my 17th birthday. I love the feeling I got when we saw the Manatawny sign and then the corn field that meant we were finally at camp! Notice none of these actually occured in NJ? I also treasure many memories from the Chatham C of C. Blest be the tie that binds!

Question 2
DC:
"Bill, Carolyn & Amy walk into a bar." How would you finish the joke??

Melissa: Bill orders a Heineken, Amy heads for the ladies room and Carolyn asks the bartender, "What is your favorite film and why?" Not really a joke so much as what might actually occur.

(DC: That makes me laugh, so mission accomplished!)

Question 3
DC:
If money were no object, where would you live and why?

Melissa: If you'd asked 20 years ago it would have been NYC. I always imagined that I'd live in the Village with really interesting people. Since Tom and I have been together 16 plus years, our retirement dream has been the Oregon coast. Totally beautiful and peaceful. Of course if money were no object, I'd do both plus travel to all the places I want to see and revisit all the ones I'd like to see again. Truth be told, I'm actually very happy right where I am (which would come as a shock to anyone who ever heard me say that I'd NEVER live in TX.)

Question 4
DC:
What is your favorite thing about Tom & each of your kids?

Melissa:
Tom - That he loves me unconditionally and that 90% of the time when there is a decision to make regarding anything from where to go to dinner to how to discipline the children, we have come up with the same answer. Two bodies and one very strange mind!

David - That he sings in the shower.

Marley - That she is tough and tender at the same time.

Luke - That he loves to snuggle.

Question 5
DC:
What insightful piece of wisdom would you like to share with your little brother?

Melissa: My first thought was Monty Python's "always look on the bright side of life" which applies to most everything. Secondly, something I heard this summer that really resonates with me: "When things come hard and not easily - maybe you've been chosen to see the supernatural and not just the natural. You are blessed!"

(DC: Whoa, that is deep. Totally excellent, but deep!)

Wow, I love that - all of that! Thanks for sharing, Big Sis. Love ya!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The answer to the bar question made me laugh till I cried! :)

Edette said...

Amen Lauren!

I have to say it never ceases to amaze me this life long relationship that exists with two of my most favorite people that I have known in such completely different places and times. I love that you grew up together, must be something in that Chatam water that makes me love you all so much!

And that pic - I may have to put it up on my computer!

Anonymous said...

Not two weeks ago I was thinking of our Thanksgiving in Houston all those years ago. Very nice read.