Thought One
For some reason I have REEEEALLY enjoyed basking in the Super Bowl victory by my New York Football Giants. I was so excited to see that ball fall into Plaxico's hands with less than 40 seconds remaining that I was euphoric. Even later that night as I was watching highlights, I would giggle out loud when I saw it - I was just that giddy. It occurred to me later that it has been over 4 years since one of "my" teams had won something meaningful (the Yankees over the Red Sox in the 2003 playoffs thanks to Aaron Bleepin' Boone), and I had forgotten how fun it was. Of course, the Giants victory over an arrogant team from Boston just makes it all the sweeter.
Story One
After the Super Bowl halftime show by Tom Petty, we heard Sara Sue kind of humming to herself as she was coloring a picture. Finally Tom (my brother-in-law, not Tom Petty!) noticed: "Is she singing Free Falling?" Sure enough, we all stopped talking and after hearing the song one time, she pretty much had the tune down. We were amazed. Hopefully she will follow in her mom's musical footsteps.
Thought Two
Yesterday's Super Tuesday was fascinating on both sides. While it looks like McCain will end up being the Republican nominee, it wasn't like he ran away with things. And what is Huckabee doing still winning states? Everyone had written him off, but you have to give him credit for hanging in. And on the Democratic side, it is amazing how close Clinton and Obama are in delegates. The articles I have been reading predict that Obama may actually be ahead after next Tuesday's "Potomac Primary" (DC, VA, MD). And one commentator on CNN last night said that it is possible that neither of them will have accumulated enough delegates by the time of the convention to earn the nomination outright. If that were the case, it would be unprecedented in my lifetime. I kind of hope that's what happens, simply because I think it would be fascinating. Could the convention actually mean something for a change?
Story Two
Sara Sue and I were in her playroom the other day, and she was drawing some things. On one picture, the setting was of a house with a yard on a sunny day. She was drawing various things on the picture, but I noticed one thing in the sky. I asked her what it was, and she said it was a basketball. I said, "That's kind of funny to have a basketball in the sky." And she said, "That's OK, Jesus will get it." I laughed at that of course, but then also thought to myself, "Only if Grandma doesn't get it first."
Thought Three
My other grandmother would have been 91 today if she were still with us. I can still hear her laughter and see that smile in my head. She was great.
No comments:
Post a Comment