Monday, February 11, 2008

Democratic Delegate Count

I am just so intrigued by this. After the weekend's caucuses and primaries, Obama is ahead in the delegate count:

Obama - 1143
Clinton - 1138
(2025 delegates are needed to win the nomination)

Granted, this count includes the "Super Delegates" - the current or former elected officeholders and party officials that have pledged their support for one candidate or the other:

Super Delegates pledged to Clinton - 213 (This probably includes Bill)
Super Delegates pledged to Obama - 139 (I don't think this includes Oprah, Scarlett Johansson or will.i.am)

However, there are over 400 Super Delegates who have yet to choose their candidate. Plus, as I understand it, any of the Super Delegates can change their pledge any time up until the convention this summer.

The current status reminds me a little bit of the Florida chad-counting episode of 2000 as far as the uncertainty of it all, since everyone expected that we would know each party's nominee by now.

To the Beltway we shall go tomorrow... we'll see!

No comments: