Saturday, December 02, 2006

Ebb & Flow

I had a very interesting afternoon recently. Around 3:00 I got a call from a headhunter asking if I would be interested in discussing a position that was opening up for one of his clients. Of course, it is always nice to be approached in situations like that, and I like actor Denzel Washington's quote: "Luck is when an opportunity comes along, and you're prepared for it." It remains to be seen whether this particular opportunity will turn into something concrete (discussions are ongoing), and if it does, whether I'm prepared for it. But it is nice to be at least somewhat "in demand."

About 5:30 that same afternoon I saw first-hand the other end of the spectrum. I fired someone. It was disappointing that it had to happen, but it did. And while I did not lose a minute of sleep about it since the decision was completely justified, it's never fun to tell someone that they no longer have a job (and that she will no longer be covered under the company's health insurance program).

Life is uncertain. Currently I'm sought after, but next week or next month or next year, I may not be able to get hired for an unpaid internship. For a while, my employee had a job with benefits. Now, she likely remains unemployed and is paying any medical bills out-of-pocket. Our neighbors were married for several years until a very unfortunate turn of events has led to a separation that includes a court-imposed restraining order. Every day there is tragedy taking a variety forms that can been read about in most any newspaper.

Proverbs 27:1 - "Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth." I just have to keep doing my thing: Love my wife & kid, stay loyal to my family & friends, put in an honest day's work, pay my bills, and hope that life smiles on me more often than not. And when life isn't happy, remember that it's just temporary and that happy times will return, hopefully sooner rather than later.

SMILE!!

No comments: