Sunday, November 20, 2005

Textiles matter!

"You just don't understand textiles!" This was the latest quote from my wife as we discussed the various options for the Thanksgiving table: Tablecloth or placemats? Glasses or crystal? When I suggested crystal with placemats, that's the response I received. We laughed (or at least I did... I think her frustration was largely sincere), but the scene quickly reminded me of one of the reasons I love her. She cares a lot about the little things that will make the result *just right.* She will lose sleep over whether to prepare mashed potatoes with or without garlic. And although she is better about it now, she would compose and change and rearrange and switch and revamp her Thanksgiving dinner menus so often it would make my head spin. Not to mention occasionally drive me crazy. But eventually I realized: It makes her happiest when she knows she's made her best effort. What's not to love about that?

No comments: