Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Yanks-Sox

OK, here we go again. Red Sox vs. Yankees. I love baseball, and it doesn't get any better than this. In the last three years, the teams have played 64 games. They have each won 32. The 2003 American League Championship Series was epic (Game 7, come from behind, extra inning, walk off homerun, not to mention hit batsmen and the ugly mugging of AARP member Don Zimmer earlier in the series), so no one can expect this year’s series to match the drama, suspense and excitement. But this rivalry is still baseball’s best storyline (does anyone really care about the Astros-Cardinals series?). Indeed, when it comes to sports rivalries, this one may be at the very top of the list, and I’ve watched it up close since I was 8 years old. The first game I attended at Yankee Stadium was against the Red Sox in 1976, and the Yanks won (of course). Some of the important names over the years: Tiant, Torrez, Bucky "Bleeping" Dent, Jim Rice, Reggie, Clemens, Boggs, Pedro, Jeter, Nomar, and of course Aaron "Bleeping" Boone. Great memories. Now, if I am to be realistic about things, this year’s series will likely go Boston’s way. The Yankees’ pitching is just way too unreliable to be able to survive a seven game series against an extremely strong BoSox lineup. But it is still going to be fun to watch! (I hope) And it's just a game, after all. Right? At least that's what I'll say if the Sox go on to the Series.

1 comment:

Edette said...

Who cares about the Cards game? You are trying to call me out aren't you! : ) Its not that I don't care about the Yanks game - go Yanks - I would love to see my boys beat up on your boys - but why must FOX think the country only cares about your Yanks? I have to wait till game 4 - assuming your Yanks keep beating the Sox to see my Cards? Its just sick and wrong is all I have to say about that! And I don't know what the self preserving pessimism is about man - its the Yanks and Sox - you can always count on the Bambino - he'll get you there even in your boys can't get the job done on their own - not that i have been paying attention, but the scores would suggest they are doing just fine on their own! Ok the crazy Cards fan is shutting up now - edette out