Sara Sue,
It's unreal to me that you are turning 10 today. In many ways it feels like yesterday when we were at the hospital in Maryland awaiting your appearance, and yet we have savored watching you grow up and become a mature girl with a precious heart and so many talents. I love every minute I get to spend with you, even those when you try to avoid taking a shower or procrastinate in your bedtime preparations. These things are what make you YOU.
The things I just mentioned are the most frustrating things about you, and you know what that makes you? That makes you the LEAST frustrating kid on the planet. Your Mom and I simply LOVE being around you. You make us laugh and you make us proud.
In fact, you are SUCH a great kid that my main concern is that somehow I'm gonna mess you up. I really want to set a good example for you in as many ways as I can. I want you to work hard in whatever you do, whether that's in school or in the ballet studio. I want you to appreciate life, whether that's reading a good book or watching a funny TV show or playing games. I want you to appreciate the family that loves you, so we moved to California from Maryland, and we spend money for plane tickets to Nashville. I want you to explore new things, stretch yourself, be brave and bold when it would be easier to let life pass you by. I want you to be fearless in speaking up when you know you should, yet not be afraid to make mistakes. I want you to be graceful in both success and disappointment.
Most of all, I want you to know that Mom & I love you no matter what. You can get a bad grade on a test or fall down during a dance recital, and it would not matter to us. We do not love you because you perform well. We love you because of your spirit. We love you because of your gentle heart. I just hope that whatever curveballs life throws at you will not affect these things. But even if they do, we will be here to help and support you. We love you because you are part of us.
Happy 10th birthday, babe. You bring immense joy to your Mom and me, and we're so thankful for that. We love you more than you can ever know.
No comments:
Post a Comment