Tuesday, November 04, 2008

The President-Elect

This is a monumental night. History was made. I'm guessing that electing our first African American President has generated more happy tears than in any other election in the country's history. And I understand the emotion; I am so happy and proud that the country has taken this step. Just 40 or 50 years ago, a day like this was simply impossible to envision. Truthfully, it will take some time for us all to fully grasp the results of today. But it is hardly cliche to say that it is a new day in America.

Now the work begins. And there is a lot of work to do. Figuring out what to do in Iraq & Afghanistan and other situations in the Middle East. Taking steps to strengthen a desperately faltering economy. Addressing environmental and energy issues, including reducing dependence on foreign oil. A $10 Trillion debt. Health care. Education. Foreign affairs. A playoff in college football. :) There is a lot on his plate.

And like with all President-Elects, only time will tell how well he can address these issues. On numerous occasions, including in his speech tonight, he has promised to listen to all parties, especially to those who disagree with him. Of course I'm pretty skeptical of this politician-speak, but it is important because about 48% of his fellow citizens indeed did NOT vote for him. Personally, I haven't quite bought into all the "Obama hype" that people have been drawn to after listening to his eloquent and persuasive speeches. I don't yet see from him any evidence of true bipartisanship. But, sincerely, I hope my skepticism is without merit, because the country could use a leader like that.

Hope. That has been his central message for over a year, and I suppose maybe his entire political career (brief as it may be). Election Day is a little like the first day of spring training in baseball - a lot of optimism and high hopes for success. But then the season starts. There are losses. There are injuries. There are errors. There are walk-off homeruns given up in the bottom of the ninth. The real question is: How does one react to the tough challenges?

We shall soon find out. HOPEfully, the Obama administration will have more homeruns than strikeouts. I'll be rooting for him.

No comments: