Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Being Grown Up

With apologies to Gene Weingarten, here is the transcript of this evening's conversation:

Sara Sue: "I'm gonna go between your legs!"

Me: "OK!"

Sara Sue ducks to "go through the tunnel."

Me: "Boy, you are getting so big that you won't be able to do that very much longer."

Sara Sue: "Well, I will when you get bigger."

Me: "Heh heh. You know, grown-ups don't grow anymore once they're grown-ups, since they're all grown up."

At this moment I felt very good about my answer. That is, until her retort.

Sara Sue: "Oh yeah, and then you don't have any more parties."

Oh. Yeah. I laughed and tried to save some face by saying, "Yeah, grown-ups don't get bounce houses on their birthdays," but really, the damage was already done.

No more parties. Sure, we get together and eat and drink and laugh and generally have a good time, but we'll never party like a four-year-old again. And maybe that's a good thing.

But I don't think so.

No comments: