Sunday, June 11, 2006

An Inconvenient Truth

We went to see “An Inconvenient Truth” the other night, the movie that shows a lecture presented by Al Gore about global warming and the environment. (There are other parts to the film, too, not just a lecture.) Even got a babysitter for the evening because we both wanted to see it. And we’re glad we did, because I think we’ve talked about it at least a little bit every day since.

Keep in mind I am no big Al Gore fan - didn't vote for him in 2000 (of course, I didn't vote for the current guy, either), and I'm not sure Al has ever had an original thought in his head. But the subject matter is important, and I had read nothing but positive reviews of the movie.

The film is, at the very least, thought provoking, and at most, extremely alarming if not downright frightening. There are some significant things happening on this planet, and they have already started to affect our lives (anyone remember Katrina?).

I am pleased to report that the movie is only minimally political. I would estimate the breakdown of the film is 75% scientific findings, 10% politics, 10% Gore’s life and experiences, and 5% stuff to be skeptical about. In short, this is not Fahrenheit 911.

In fact, Gore spends a good deal of the movie sharing his disappointment in how government has clearly not worked to make any significant advancement regarding global warming. He recognizes the power of individuals and their communities to make significant change and having them work toward a solution – something he felt the government could not and/or would not do, at least not anytime soon. I thought this view was extremely enlightened for the career politician that he is, and I found it to be downright libertarian of him.

There is one other very interesting aspect of this film: SILENCE. As in, the deafening silence that has been heard from the Right. Despite the fact the movie is by and (to a lesser extent) about Al Gore, conservatives have been conspicuously silent regarding the movie. One can easily surmise that it is because there are few facts/statistics stated in the film, if any, that can be refuted.

So, I recommend seeing it. Don’t go to the movie expecting to be entertained; rather, view it as if it is a required course in your Good Stewardship of the Earth degree. And then talk about it. I don’t think you’ll be able not to.

(P.S. The CEO of my company saw the film, and will purchase tickets for anyone in the company who wants to go see it. We have 1,100 employees. He has even approved going to see it during work hours!)

1 comment:

Kenneth & Victoria said...

I am afraid to see it beause it's likely to make me depressed. I try soooo hard to make changes in my life to be caring towards nature that are quite sacrificial. I don't need a reminder of how it's never enough what I do, and how much more I could still be doing. I also wish that my family (beyond Ken and Grace and Amelia) cared more. I've already been called "paranoid" just for eating organic produce! Hey, any chance this movie will make my family paranoid?