Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Math

The other night after I tucked Sara Sue in bed and turned out the light, she asked, "How many days until Babba & GrandmaLisa get here?" I replied, "Five days." That answer didn't quite satisfy her, so she asked, "How many hours?" I kinda chuckled and said, "Oh, it's a lot - more than 100 hours." She responded with a simple, "OK," and we exchanged our "I love you"s and I shut the door.

Assuming she was heading off to sleep, Elisa & I started watching a TV show. But then about five minutes later we heard Sara Sue call from her room:
SS: "Daaaaaaad?"
Me: "Yes babe?"
SS: "It's 120 hours."
Me: (Floored, chuckling) "Wow, babe, that's exactly right! Great job!!"

I could not believe my ears. In the preceding five minutes she had figured out that 5 days = 120 hours. She did this in her head, lying in her bed, in the dark. Elisa & I were stunned.

Then Elisa called to Sara Sue:
E: "Hey Sara Sue, how did you figure that out?"
SS: "I did five 20s and then I did five 4s and then I added them."

WHAT?!?!?! This response just flabbergasted me even more. Are you kidding me? A first grader, breaking down numbers, essentially doing multiplication, and then adding them all together?!?!

I'll say it before and I'll say it again: I'm very sorry, but our kid is simply more awesome than your kid. You'll just have to come to terms with it.

1 comment:

Cj said...

:) That truly is awesome. Thx for sharing. Way to go Sara Sue!