Tuesday, May 04, 2010

The Van Nuys Experience

My parents arrived last Friday night for their annual pilgramage to the Pepperdine Bible Lectures that starts tonight (they're both teaching separate classes), and it's always fun to have them here. They have been getting some significant face time with Sara Sue, which pleases all three of them greatly.

Since he was in town, Dad was invited to teach a class and preach at Van Nuys Church of Christ this past Sunday, just about 20 minutes away. None of us even knew this church existed, which basically meant one thing: it was ultra-conservative. Sure enough, one of the first things I noticed when we walked into the auditorium was the old-fashioned board that listed the hymn numbers, and another board that listed the Offering numbers from last week and compared it to the Weekly Budget number. Later, as one of the Elders was introducing Dad, he mentioned the class that Dad would be moderating at the Lectures, and also that Mom was teaching a separate class as well, and he added, "which I assume is a class for women." (Mom said later that she didn't hear him say that, which is good because she might have stood up right then and there and corrected him.)

But the best part of the morning (besides Dad's usual poignant lesson on forgiveness) was the series of hymns we sang. They included:

I'll Fly Away
He Lives
Heavenly Sunlight
Why Did My Savior Come to Earth?
Heaven Came Down
Jesus is Tenderly Calling
Blessed Assurance
Love Lifted Me
(The David Hill version of the song begins, "I was sinking deep in sin, Boy was I having fun...")

Oh man, it's like I went back 30-35 years singing those classics.

Of course we were very welcomed by many friendly people who wanted to come up to meet us. And that's the great thing to take away from experiences like that: Whatever differences we may have in practicing our faith, we all belong to God.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom hums love lifted me ALL the time and maybe it's because she's singing the David Hill version in her head? Sounds like fun...I'm sure I could find that same experience here in my neighborhood, but wouldn't want to miss our pastor to do so :)

Kenneth & Victoria said...

Ah, memories!

Sarah said...

I love that there was a number board. How was the contribution looking? I do love (and miss) many of those older songs. Many precious foundations of our tradition.

amy russell said...

there are beautiful things about our ethnicity, huh? I was totally thinking about exactly what my sibling "anonymous" said. Love all you kinfolk! Amelamy

MLW said...

Dude...you're clearly on your way back to the fold! :-)

Edette said...

Well as a girl that used to attend there I can say... yep those were the songs they were singing 20 years ago - and yes the people are lovely - the theology is another story. I would have paid to see Lisa stand up and say something like that - good thing she didn't hear it! Glad you enjoyed my old home!