Thursday, September 03, 2009

Response #5 - 5 Questions for Cliff

DC: In what area of your spiritual life have you grown the most in the last 20 years and how?

Cliff: “Trying to make it real…” -- That is the way I keep thinking about this primary area of growth. At 41 years of age, I am a spoiled, soft guy (and I’m not just talking about my gut). My life has been very, very blessed: good health, great marriage, wonderful child, reliable (if not totally fulfilling) work, average financial security.

Therefore, since all the serious physical issues in life have been resolved, my life is consumed mostly by rather petty issues: mowing the yard, paying bills, vacation plans, leisure reading, hobbies, aspiring and acquiring, etc. As a result, my faith is seldom tested. I’ve not dealt with a horrible, shocking death. I’ve not dealt with life-crippling disease. I’ve not dealt with financial concerns that would limit me in any real way.

So, in recent years I have been trying to be ever more attentive to those around me who are truly in pain. Watching out for them… anticipating their expressions of pain… and trying to be an unsought blessing to them. At church, many of us are every bit as blessed as I am… so, our conversations often remain at the superficial layers. I have been trying lately to dig past that comfort zone, and (it’s a shame I have to use this word)… and force the conversations and the relationships into greater depth and spiritual substance.

In case you are not getting my point here, allow me to paint a mental picture. Consider these excerpts from many of our most popular Sunday-morning hymns…

“I serve a risen savior”
“A wonderful savior is Jesus my Lord”
“Jesus is Lord”
“Let every heart rejoice and sing”
“Jesus is coming soon”
“A mighty fortress is our God”

These are all true, and very powerful messages. I love the songs. I love the truths these songs express. But, how can I sing songs like this, and not allow these glorious truths to be reflected in my face, my body language, my conversation, my relationships… every day of my life?

It is difficult at times to navigate life on this Earth while expressing a faith that is often maligned and mocked, or at least disregarded by the modern culture. But, I need to press past that. I want my faith to be real, and tangible, and effectual. I want to truly demonstrate, on a daily basis, what my Wonderful Savior truly means to me.

That has been and, I presume, will ever be my biggest area of spiritual growth.

No comments: