DC: Besides family (including in-laws, especially brother-in-laws), who has had the greatest impact on your life and how?
Cliff: In truth, my answer probably falls into the “not very original” category. But, that can’t be helped. The facts are what they are. There is only one person who truly rises to the top of all influences in my life. There is only one person who inspires me daily to continue being (what I hope is) the respectable, honorable person I try to be. There is only one person who keeps me from behaving (most of the time) in frightfully self-serving and destructive ways. That person is none other than Jesus Christ.
I truly believe in the Gospel of the Bible that has been handed down through the generations. I believe in God as the Creator. I know that I have sinned, and I believe that sin was keeping me from God, and thus from true happiness. And, I believe that my acceptance of the brutal, yet beautiful truth of Christ’s sacrifice has restored me to an at-peace relationship with my Creator. And, because of that restored relationship with God, everything I am, everything I do, everything I say and strive for has some purpose or some value that is much larger than myself.
I like to think that I am a pretty decent husband. Why do I try to honor and love my wife selflessly? Why don’t I abandon her when I want to go do my own thing? Why don’t I spend money on the things I want? Because of what Christ did for me.
I like to think that I am a pretty decent father. Why do I try to bring up my child in righteousness and gentleness and love? Why do I turn off my self-interests so I can play Twister with her (when I’m really ready to sit and watch TV)? Why do I read to her every night, forgo the trip to the hardware store this morning, and slow down my projects in the garage so I can explain things to her? Because of what Christ did for me.
I like to think that in all other relationships… familial, professional, social… I am a pretty decent, fun, pleasant, caring man. Why do I strive to exhibit these traits? Why don’t I steal the company stationery? Why don’t I take the stale gasoline (that’s been in my garage for four years) and dump it down the sewer? Because of what Christ did for me.
As with all of us, there are many times in life when I could justifiably (?) behave in an un-Christlike way. But, I usually fight, fight, fight that temptation, and marshal my behavior so that it is in keeping with what I believe God/Jesus would have of me. To be sure, I fail all too frequently. But, the fact is: I try. And, why do I keep on trying…?
I simply cannot imagine another person having anywhere near that amount of influence over my life. Granted, my parents have had an immeasurable impact on me. Many teachers have given me guidance. A number of coworkers have helped me see how to be a professional. A number of acquaintances throughout my life have demonstrated some wonderful qualities. But, over-arching, complete, through-and-through, year-in-and-year-out… no one can hold a candle to the influence Jesus has in my daily walk through this Earthly life.
No comments:
Post a Comment