I am fortunate to be surrounded by some pretty extraordinary people in my family. My sister has a PhD, my mother has written the book on being an exemplary preacher's wife (not to mention excelling in her career), and my daughter knows that cows say moo, horses say neigh, and if she wants an egg for breakfast, she asks for a "negg" (c'mon - it's close enough!). But I wanted to share two instances when my pride nearly reduced me to tears.
In 1989 our friend Ceceile was suffering from AIDS, and Dad was visiting in NJ and paid her a visit. The very next day, she died. Dad & I immediately went to visit her husband Larry at their home. I will never forget the long embrace that Dad & Larry shared, during which Larry said, "She was so happy you came to visit yesterday. Thank you for helping to make her last hours happy ones." Man, I almost lost it. And I know there are countless similar stories when Dad has affected people's lives in priceless ways. His life of humble service is such an amazing model to me.
Last weekend Elisa was a featured soloist performing a Mozart piece with the Trinity Chamber Orchestra in Georgetown (she has been the principal violist since the inception of this orchestra about 5 years ago). She did an amazing, stupendous, outstanding, exceptional job, and it's not just me with that opinion - she received TWO curtain calls from the audience. But there was a certain point, during a part at the end of the second movement when it was just her and the violin playing, and she just nailed it. Flawless. And I just teared up. She worked so hard on preparing for her moment, and it was paying off big time. And she did this while also completing the first draft of her dissertation and being such wonderful mama to Sara Sue. My wife is an incredible woman, and last weekend was yet another occasion to be proud of her.
No comments:
Post a Comment