Monday, December 20, 2004

Run the Yellow

This morning I got to the dry cleaner and was able to pick up our cleaning without having to stand in line. By the time I left, there were five people in line. It occurred to me that the only reason I wasn’t standing in that line was that I ran a yellow light about 10 minutes earlier. Movies are made about stuff like this (Sliding Doors with the lovely Gwyneth Paltrow, Serendipity with the yummy Kate Beckinsale), but it really is something to wonder about. What tragedies have I unknowingly avoided because I drove fast/slow/not at all? Walked down one street or the one that parallels it? I had three of my co-workers on a cross country flight on 9/11, and by what stroke of fate was their flight NOT chosen by Osama’s gang? Who knows. On the other side of these what-ifs, what have I missed out on? Have I missed meeting someone cool because I went to Subway instead of Burger King? Missed my chance at fame and fortune because I had to go to the bathroom? I suppose the more ethereal question is: Does God play an active role in these actions/decisions? Ugh. Now my brain hurts…

No comments: